Fort Pokaran; the 14th century citadel
also known as “Balagarh” stands as a paragon amidst the Thar Desert.
This monument is the premier fort of The Chief of Mighty
Champawats (the clan of Rathores) has to its erstwhile aristocratic
title attached the prestigious honour ‘Pradhan’ ( The Premier
Noble ) to recognize every Thakur of Pokaran as of the first
honour in The Darbar (the court) of the state Marwar- Jodhpur.
Surrounded with rocky, sandy and five salt ranges, POKARAN means
“the place of five mirages”.Fort Pokaran stands on ancient trade
route that carried salt, silk and spices to Persia and beyond.
Instead of winding caravans of the past, it now has trains, buses
and cars. The fort now attracts travellers to stay betwixt the
glorious history where each stone speaks out volumes of the past.
It is en route both from Jodhpur to Jaislamer and Bikaner to Jaislamer.
It indeed makes an ideal break and offers extended traditional
hospitality, which was once offered to Humayun; the Mughal Emperor
in the 16th century and later to his great grandson Akbar `II;
son of the last Mughal Emperor; Aurangzeb.
present Thakur Nagendra Singh Pokaran and his wife Thakurani Yashwant
Kumari Pokaran have opened the imperial gates of the stately fort
to proffer the traveller a feel of royalty. The well restored
building hands out a view of the ornamentally carved, red sandstone
Mahals, the traditional Jharokas and the grand turrets, parapets
depicting Rajput and Mughal architecture. The impressive hall;”Mangal
Mahal” with four octangular Jharokas protruding out is where our
guests are served with traditional aromatic cuisines by the family
There is an in-house “Museum” of the family collection of armoury,
garments, miniature paintings, handicrafts and the local artistry.
A feather in the cap of the Fort is “The Grand Library” consisting
of classic books dedicated to the great Rao Bhadur Rajshree Thakur
Chain Singhji Pokaran. He being the most learned Rajput noble
of those times, holds a prestigious place in the book known as
"Who’s Who Of India 1946-47 edition pg.1428-29."